Skip to main content

Business News Releases

Singers called to join Queensland Choir's 'Brisbane Sings Messiah'

PEOPLE with a passion for singing are urged to make a date to join the Queensland Choir for its acclaimed biennial Brisbane Sings Messiah in City Hall this December.

The Queensland Choir’s chorus master Kevin Power said singers who may not be regular choristers now have a unique opportunity to perform Handel’s most famous work as part of a 150-voice choir, with professional soloists and orchestra, in one of Brisbane’s most outstanding concert venues.  

“No audition is necessary, but singers must be at least 18 years old and attend six rehearsals, culminating in the Sunday afternoon concert on December 3 in Brisbane City Hall before an expected audience of more than 1000 people,” he said.

“Singing in the choir is fun and a challenge, as the Queensland Choir has a long history of performing Messiah in City Hall to the highest standards. Everything is thoroughly rehearsed, and choir members enjoy being part of a welcoming group sharing a common interest and learning from professional musicians, and each other.” 

Established in 1872, the Queensland Choir performed at the opening of City Hall in 1930 and staged the first Messiah there in the same year. 

“We realise not everyone can afford the time to commit to full-time membership of a choir these days, but it’s thrilling to share the experience of performing this masterpiece with a large choir in such a venue. Brisbane Sings Messiah enables interested singers take part in a full performance with a minimum of commitment.” 

Registrations close once soprano, alto, tenor and bass lists are full, so interested singers should contact the choir now https://qldchoir.com/sing-with-us/ phone 0491 654 134, or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

THE QUEENSLAND CHOIR – Brisbane Sings Messiah, Sunday, December 1, 2.45pm-5.15pm, Brisbane City Hall. Tickets: $45-$60; children and full-time students: $15- $25,  book online https://qldchoir.com/events/brisbane-sings-messiah-2019 or phone 3847 1717.

ends

  • Created on .

Lenders should pass on rate cut in full and without delay - Master Builders

"BANKS and other lenders must pass on today’s RBA rate cut in full and without delay,” Master Builders Australia’s chief economist Shane Garrett said. 

“The Reserve Bank reduced the official interest rate by 25 basis points earlier this afternoon, taking the rate down to a new unprecedented low of just 0.75 percent,” he said. 

“We welcome today’s RBA’s decision given it has the potential to boost demand across the economy and reduce financing costs for the 370,000 small businesses in the building and construction sector.

“There is already evidence that the interest rate reductions earlier this year have started to steer some parts of the housing market in a positive direction,” Mr Garrett said. 

“The latest RBA move will only succeed if it is matched by similar reductions in the interest rate on mortgages and small business loans. It is important that the banks and major lenders play their part in making sure that this happens,” Mr Garrett said.

www.masterbuilders.com.au

ends

  • Created on .

Unpaid wages recovered for Subway employees

THEFair Work Ombudsman (FWO) has recovered $81,638.82 in unpaid wages for 167 current and previous employees, following investigations into 22 Subway franchisees.

Fair Work Inspectors targeted Subway franchisees in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria following requests for assistance from employees and anonymous tip-offs about potential breaches of Australia’s workplace laws.

Inspectors interviewed Subway employees, managers and franchise owners, and analysed numerous employment records and payslips.

The FWO determined that 18 of the 22 Subway franchisees were not compliant with Australia’s workplace laws.

The FWO found that the employers failed to pay the employees minimum wages, failed to pay entitlements like casual loadings and holiday and overtime rates, failed to issue proper payslips and did not keep proper employment records.

In response to the breaches, Inspectors issued seven compliance notices requiring employers to rectify breaches of the law, nine formal cautions putting franchises on notice about future non-compliance, and nine on-the-spot fines for record-keeping and pay slip breaches totalling $5,880.

The FWO continues to assist Subway workers. The FWO has recovered nearly $150,000 for underpaid Subway employees over the past two financial years, including the money recovered from this activity which commenced in 2017.

“The FWO is very concerned by the rates of non-compliance we have seen in the Subway franchise network and has a number of ongoing lines of enquiry into their operations,” Ms Parker said.

“Half of the underpaid Subway employees were young workers or from a migrant background, which can make them particularly vulnerable to exploitation. For many of these workers, it might be their first job and they could be unaware of their workplace rights or scared to raise issues with their boss.

“Franchisors, especially in the fast food sector, are a priority for the Fair Work Ombudsman. Franchisors can be held legally responsible if their franchisee stores don’t follow workplace laws. They must take reasonable steps to prevent this occurring. The community expects head companies to assure themselves that all the stores in their franchise network are paying workers their correct wages and entitlements.

“We encourage any Subway workers with concerns about their pay to contact us,” Ms Parker said.

The FWO also secured $65,438 in penalties against the former franchisee of two Subway outlets in Sydney for underpaying a Chinese worker more than $16,000.

A report of the FWO’s investigation of the 22 Subway franchises is available at www.fairwork.gov.au.

Subway staff can contact the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 for free workplace assistance. Employers and employees can also submit anonymous reports to the Fair Work Ombudsman online.

ends

  • Created on .

Ombudsman backs NT’s October Business Month

THE Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman, Kate Carnell is encouraging the community to support the Northern Territory’s 14,000-plus businesses during October Business Month.

“October Business Month is highlight on the business calendar in the Northern Territory, with as many as 9,000 people expected to attend more than 150 events,” Ms Carnell said.

“Tradies are a particular focus of this year’s event, with Tradie Talks a new addition to the program, aimed at the Territory’s micro and small business sector, which accounts for about 95 percent of businesses.

“There’s also a series of workshops teaching practical business skills including management and finance. Take the time to be inspired and expand your network with other entrepreneurs and business professionals. I encourage everyone to get involved," Ms Carnell said.

The Ombudsman said it was a great time to be doing business in the Northern Territory, with the government’s commitment in July to faster payment terms for invoices under $1 million.

“The government reduced invoice payment times from 30 days to 20 days and introduced new reporting requirements to ensure these timelines are met,” Ms Carnell said.

“The effort to pay small businesses on time is welcome, especially given the latest SME Growth Index revealed the extent of cash flow problems experienced by small businesses is getting worse.

“The data revealed just one in 10 SMEs had not experienced cash flow problems, meaning 90 percent have," she said.

“In addition to taking part in October Business Month, I would encourage Northern Territory small businesses to take a look at our free online Business Funding Guide which offers comprehensive information on the range of funding options available on the market, while also assisting small businesses to get ‘finance fit’ to give them the best chance at securing the funding they need.”

www.asbfeo.gov.au

ends

  • Created on .

Retirees seek certainty in review of retirement income system

THE Association of Independent Retirees (AIR) has welcomed the 'Review of the Retirement Income System' announced by the Federal Treasurer last Saturday.

However, AIR has some reservations.

“In conducting the review the association seeks certainty for those in retirement so they will not be adversely affected by any changes made to existing retirement income legislation,” Association of Independent Retirees (AIR) Limited director Terry O’Callaghan said
 
AIR is particularly concerned that retirees who have set in place their retirement investments prior to their retirement, are not subjected to any changes to current legislation that would adversely impact on their retirement income.

“Changing the ‘goal posts’ on legislative arrangements for Australians who have already retired and are partly or fully self-funding their retirement, should not be an option for the Review,” Mr O’Callaghan said.

The objectives of the Review, to ensure that the Retirement Income System gives Australians, including self-funded retirees, adequate retirement incomes, and that the system is fiscally sustainable and provides appropriate incentives for self-provision in retirement, are fully supported by the Association.

“However retirees need certainty in planning for their retirement and AIR seeks an assurance from the government that retirees will not be affected by any proposed changes that adversely impact on their retirement income,” Mr O’Callaghan said.
 
“Members of AIR look forward to the Review independent panel considering ways of improving the efficiency and competitiveness of superannuation and encouraging a greater percentage of the working population to partly or fully fund their retirement."

The outcomes of the Review need to ensure that sufficient incentives apply to encourage more Australians to provide for their retirement through superannuation and private savings to assist reduce pressure on the Federal Budget that is being stretched to cover the escalating cost of the Age Pension, increasing longevity of retirees and escalating health and age care costs, according to AIR.
 
Mr O'Callaghan said AIR noted that a consultation paper will be released in November this year and AIR looks forward to raising a number of issues that should be addressed in the final report including:  

  • retirees having an adequate level of income that provides for at least the standard of living experienced prior to retirement;
  • retention of investment incentives that are considered fair, including superannuation concessions, franking credits on Australian equities, negative gearing on investment properties, and the current 50 percent discount on capital gains tax;
  • allowing workers who were self employed or has no superannuation, to sell privately held assets exempt of capital gains tax up to a defined cap, and purchase a tax-free retirement income stream product;
  • improving information that assists retirees benchmark their superannuation performance and private investment yield;
  • providing assistance with alternative low risk investment opportunities in times of low fixed interest such as being currently experienced;
  • broadening the current age based percentage drawdowns for account based income stream pensions with a broadening of the age ranges and a lowering of the minimum drawdown percentages once a retiree has reached 75 years of age;
  • adjusting deeming rules to better relate to a low investment environment.

Mr O'Callaghan said it was important that the Review established a fact base of the current retirement income system covering the age pension, compulsory superannuation and private retirement investment to ensure that there is informed public debate on recommendations proposed by the Review panel.

“Any new  legislation concerning the three pillars of Australia’s retirement income system resulting from the Review, should be based on fairness, transparency and certainty,” Mr O’Callaghan said.

 



For further information or for Media Comments please contact:
Terry O’Callaghan AM -  0408 143 392
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
AIR website: www.independentretirees.com.au

  • Created on .