TPL_YOOTHEME_SKIP_TO_MAIN_CONTENT

Business News Releases

Service NSW celebrates small business milestone

NEW figures released today show 5000 small business owners have received help from Service NSW’s one-stop shop Business Concierge service.

Service NSW for Business executive director Bridget Barrett said the service is all about helping people start, grow or run their small business, potentially saving them time and money.

“Service NSW has become more than just a one-stop shop for individual customers, it is also a one-stop shop for small business customers,” Ms Barrett said.

“We make government easier to navigate by reducing paperwork and eliminating duplication so customers can focus on what they do best - running their business.”

The service includes personalised support from Service NSW’s Business Concierge and a digital platform which outlines the regulations and licences needed to start a small business across a range of sectors.

The figures released today also show owners of cafes, restaurants and small bars have saved up to 86 hours of effort. Service NSW has also helped slashed the time it takes to open a small bar by almost six months.

“We’re getting great feedback from business owners who are really satisfied with the help they’ve received and they’re telling others about the service,” Ms Barrett said.

“The Business Concierge had helped 1000 business owners by November 2018. Since then we’ve seen customer numbers sky rocket and we expect that to continue.”

The Business Concierge can help with everything from getting a council development application right the first time, to applying for outdoor dining and liquor licencing.

The initiative is delivered by Service NSW in partnership with the NSW Small Business Commission and Better Regulation Division. More information is available on the website.

ends

Ombudsman congratulates Outstanding Western Sydney Women

THE Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman, Kate Carnell has congratulated the winners of the Outstanding Western Sydney Women Awards, many of whom are hard-working small and family business owners.

The Outstanding Western Sydney Women Awards, held in Parramatta last night, recognised the achievements of several exceptional women from Western Sydney.

“Congratulations to all of the winners and finalists, especially Tania MacLeod of The Stage Door Performing Arts, who was named the overall Outstanding Western Sydney Woman,” Ms Carnell said.

“Tania’s dance school has been in operation for more than 20 years and is well-established in the small business and local community.

“She’s taught more than 10,000 students and her work in providing scholarships to disadvantaged young people is commendable. Tania has also developed a dance program for children with disabilities.

“In fact all of the finalists this year have achieved great things as community leaders, entrepreneurs and tradies," Ms Carnell said.

“My office is a proud partner of these awards and supports the efforts of Western Sydney Women, which has been very effective in connecting women in the region and assisting them in achieving their business and career goals.

“Research tells us the most successful start-ups are created by those who have a network or mentors for support.

“That’s why organisations such as Western Sydney Women are so important in creating a critical mass of female entrepreneurial role models," she said.

“It was an honour to be part of this year’s Outstanding Western Sydney Women Awards and a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the achievements of these talented women.”

www.asbfeo.gov.au

ends

Committee considers export opportunities

ON FRIDAY, October 18, 2019, the Trade and Investment Growth Committee is holding a public hearing in Canberra as part of its Inquiry into Supporting Australia’s Exports and Attracting Investment.

Representatives from the business, education, defence export, agricultural and film and entertainment sectors will meet with the Committee to discuss how to boost Australian exports and stimulate investment.

The committee is looking into Australian businesses' ambitions to grow via export and attracting investment; local regulatory barriers to businesses being able to realise their ambitions; and best practice regulation that evidence shows supports export and investment growth, whilst protecting the national interest.

Public hearing details

Date: Friday, 18 October 2019
Time: 9.15am to 1.30pm
Location: Committee Room 1R2, Parliament House, Canberra

The hearing will be broadcast live at aph.gov.au/live.

Further information about the Committee’s inquiry, including the public hearing program is available on the committee’s webpage.

ends

National capital in the spotlight

THE Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories will hear from the National Capital Authority about its role and present issues relating to the national capital on Thursday, at the Committee’s biannual public briefing.

Thursday’s briefing is the first to be held in the 46th Parliament following the 2019 federal election. The last briefing was held in December 2018.

Committee chair Keith Pitt MP said,  “The National Capital Authority exercises broad functions in representing and maintaining the Commonwealth’s interests in the national capital. Thursday’s hearing provides Committee members with an opportunity to become more familiar with the Authority’s current work and consider other matters that are of interest in the nation’s capital."

Members of the public are welcome to attend and observe the proceedings. Audio of the hearing will also be webcast live on the Australian Parliament’s website.

Further information may be found on the committee’s website.

Public hearing details
Date: Thursday 17 October 2019
Time: 10.15am to 11am (approx.)
Location: Committee Room 2R2, Parliament House, Canberra

The hearing will be broadcast live at aph.gov.au/live.

ends

Australians urged to check their super ahead of the latest changes

AUSTRALIANS with multiple super accounts should consider consolidating their accounts or risk losing potential earnings, ahead of new superannuation changes coming into effect at the end of October, Industry Super Australia has warned.

As part of the Federal Government’s Protecting Your Super changes that come into effect on October 31st, all inactive, low-balance super accounts (under $6,000) will be automatically rolled over to the Australian Tax Office (ATO). The ATO will then try to reconnect the savings from these accounts with people’s current accounts.

“These are good changes that will put more money back into the super nest eggs of thousands of workers – but it’s important Australians are aware they could miss out on extra earnings, if their old and forgotten accounts end up sitting with the ATO," Industry Super Australia CEO Bernie Dean said.

While the changes will result in people being reconnected with money in forgotten super accounts and stop the erosion of super balances by multiple fees and premiums, people should be aware that if the ATO is unable to match the old inactive accounts to a their current accounts, they risk losing out on investment returns.

This is because the money from those old forgotten super accounts will sit with the ATO and will earn interest at CPI – which is significantly less than what a person would receive if they had their super in an industry super fund. On average, industry funds return a balance which is 4.5 per higher than CPI.

With research showing that one in four Australians are unaware that they have multiple accounts, it’s critical that Australians check to see if they could be affected by these changes.

Industry Super Australia is urging Australians to take action and consolidate their super funds themselves, ahead of the ATO’s automatic consolidation deadline, to make sure they don’t miss out on additional earnings.

“With less than a month to go before these super changes kick in, it’s really important that Australians do their housekeeping and check on their accounts before it’s too late," Mr Dean said. “Sorting it out is easy – if you have multiple accounts you can consolidate now and protect and maximise your savings, or if you’re a person who has been out of the workforce for a while you can make a contribution to keep your fund ticking over.

“If you’re not sure if you’re going to be affected by the changes, just give your super fund a call and they’ll be able to help you.”

Australians taking a break from the workforce, such as mums at home caring for kids, or those studying or overseas could also be affected if they haven’t made a contribution to their account in the past 16 months.

Under the changes, an inactive account is one that hasn’t received a contribution in the past 16 months. The best way to prevent an inactive super account being automatically transferred to the ATO is to contact your super fund, confirm the status of your account, and make a contribution to the fund you want to keep active.

For those Australians with multiple accounts, account consolidation has never been easier. People can easily consolidate their low-balance or inactive accounts through the ATO’s MyGov website or by calling their super fund to begin consolidating their accounts.

ends

Builders back boost for first home buyers

BUILDERS HAVE welcomed the boost for first home buyers that will be delivered by the Government’s First Home Loan Deposit Scheme which has been passed by the Federal Parliament. 

“Aspiring to home ownership is fundamental to the Australian ethos. This measure will support thousands of first home buyers realise their ambition every year and boost residential building activity and economic growth,” Master Builders Australia CEO Denita Wawn said. 

“It will lift the confidence of residential builders who are enduring a contraction in house building activity and will support the burgeoning recovery in the housing. In particular it will add momentum to the gradual return of First Home Buyers to the market that we have witnessed in the past few months,” she said. 

“Master Builders are strong and vocal supporters of this initiative as a targeted and practical step to help aspiring home owners overcome the deposit gap. It will also complement other moves by the government to tackle housing affordability by supporting an increase in the housing supply to help keep home ownership within reach of all Australians.

“The reinvigoration in the roll out of city deals is welcome as are the government’s initial efforts to fast track the construction of urban, social and transport infrastructure, including outside Sydney and Melbourne, where capacity constraints are less and bang for your buck is more,” she said. 

“Master Builders will continue to be vocal in our call for governments to work together to advance infrastructure construction and to implement policies such as the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme because they will the economic growth that is essential for a stronger economy and our member’s business success,” Ms Wawn said.  

www.masterbuilders.com.au

ends

Public hearings on nuclear energy

THE House of Representatives Standing Committee on the Environment and Energy is holding further public hearings in Canberra on the prerequisites for nuclear energy in Australia.

The Committee will hear from a number of witnesses during the course of these hearings. Full programs are available on the inquiry website at https://www.aph.gov.au/nuclearpower.

Public hearing details

Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2019
Time: 10:30am to 11:15am
Location: Committee Room 2R2, Parliament House, Canberra

Date: Friday, 18 October 2019
Time: 8:30am to 3:45pm
Location: Committee Room 1R1, Parliament House, Canberra

Date: Wednesday, 23 October 2019
Time: 10:30am
Location: Committee Room 1R4, Parliament House, Canberra

The hearings will be broadcast live at aph.gov.au/live.

The Committee will announce any further public hearings on the inquiry website:  https://www.aph.gov.au/nuclearpower.

ends

Push to ensure Retirement Income Review improves women’s retirement outcomes

A HIGH-POWERED GROUP of women and men are mobilising in a push to make sure that the pressing needs of women are not left out of the forthcoming retirement income review.

The group, coordinated by Women in Super, are pushing for the review’s terms of reference to be updated to specifically include women.

Women in Super Chair Cate Wood said it was vital the report take a thorough look at how policy settings combined with the structural, economic, social and demographic drivers are leaving increasing numbers of women without economic security in retirement.

“There is a crisis in women’s retirement happening all around us,” Ms Wood said. “Single retired women are the fastest growing group of people becoming homeless in this country.

“The rate of poverty for retired women also continues to increase, which is unsurprising given women retire on average with just over half the superannuation savings of men.”

Ms Wood said that while the terms of reference are broad, an explicit focus on women’s retirement outcomes was needed to ensure that the review did not miss an important opportunity to address the gender retirement gap.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg announced the Review of the Retirement Income System in late September.

ends

FSC welcomes end to 'grandfathered' conflicted remuneration

THE Financial Services Council (FSC) has welcomed the passage of legislation ending grandfathered conflicted remuneration payments to financial advisers.

FSC CEO Sally Loane said the FSC has been consistent in its support for ending grandfathered conflicted payments, which was detailed in the FSC’s submission to the Royal Commission last year.

“It is encouraging to see the government acting promptly on the Royal Commission implementation roadmap and delivering on Recommendation 2.4, which is expected to benefit Australian consumers,” Ms Loane said.

“From 1 January 2021, as part of these reforms, where a conflicted remuneration is payable in contracts, the benefit must be passed through to the client.

“This is consistent with the FSC position of enhancing confidence in a strong, sustainable financial services sector, that serves Australians with integrity.”

These reforms remove remuneration arrangements that are today considered conflicted and also deliver an appropriate transition period for businesses.

“The FSC will continue working with government and relevant stakeholders to help ensure the effective implementation of the Royal Commission’s recommendations, set out in the government’s roadmap, and that the arrangements reached are workable for business,” Ms Loane said. 

 

About the Financial Services Council

The Financial Services Council (FSC) has more than 100 members representing Australia's retail and wholesale funds management businesses, superannuation funds, life insurers, financial advisory networks and licensed trustee companies. The industry is responsible for investing $3 trillion on behalf of more than 15.6 million Australians. The FSC promotes best practice for the financial services industry by setting mandatory Standards for its members and providing Guidance Notes to assist in operational efficiency. The FSC’s mission is to protect and enhance confidence in a strong, sustainable financial services sector that serves Australians with integrity.

ends

Hydrogen innovation: delivering on the vision

THE latest report from Gas Vision 2050 has been released by Energy Networks Australia and the Australian Pipelines and Gas Association (APGA) at the 2019 APGA Convention and Exhibition.

The Hydrogen Innovation – Delivering on the Vision report shows the significant progress made since the release of Gas Vision 2050 over two years ago with $180 million committed funding for hydrogen infrastructure projects.

Energy Networks Australia chief executive officer Andrew Dillon said that hydrogen was part of a sustainable energy solution and replacing natural gas with hydrogen would deliver a safe, reliable and zero-emissions fuel for customers.

“This report demonstrates that crucial innovation by networks is already underway to advance a hydrogen future,” Mr Dillon said.

“Networks are looking to renewable hydrogen made from solar and wind power to decarbonise our gas networks.”

APGA chief executive officer Steve Davies said developments in gaseous fuels signalled a promising future for gas as Australia’s energy system moved to a low carbon future.

“Natural gas already provides more energy than electricity, at lower emissions and less cost,” Mr Davies said.

“Gaseous fuels fit well with future energy needs as we decarbonise, providing diversity in energy supply which delivers great benefits for competition, reliability and security now and into the future.”

Trials are already underway, and some networks have made clear plans to blend hydrogen into existing gas infrastructure.

Energy Networks Australia has previously released research confirming that the injection of hydrogen into the gas distribution network can be done under current gas legislation.

There is a global focus on hydrogen as the way forward with 19 separate hydrogen roadmaps underway or completed around the world, including Australia.

ends

Salvation Army calls for immediate action on reforms to help the most financially vulnerable Australians

THE Salvation Army has called calls on government and business to take immediate action on the reform agenda set by the Banking Royal Commission and the Senate Inquiry into Credit and Financial Services targeted at Australians at risk of financial hardship.

The Salvation Army is shining a light on a slew of predatory and unfair practices that persist almost 10 months after the Royal Commission and Senate Inquiry reports were handed down.

Head of The Salvation Army’s Moneycare, Tony Devlin, said the arrival of Anti-Poverty Week underlines the need for the recommendations to be pressed into action.

“It is still far too easy for the very people who can least afford it - those who are already struggling with debt - to get even further into financial trouble and debt when confronted with changed circumstances,” Mr Devlin said.

Salvation Army research paints a similarly gloomy picture, revealing that one quarter of participants in The Salvation Army’s Moneycare program experience extreme housing stress, with 16 percent experiencing energy stress. Participants spent at least 50 percent less on essential items such as food and health compared to average Australian households.

Law reform around predatory lending and increased funding for financial counselling services is particularly needed. The case for increased financial counselling services is strengthened by survey figures showing that more than 90 percent of participants in Moneycare’s financial counselling programs reported improved ability to handle their own financial situations and to resolve their financial difficulties.

“The vulnerable and desperate don’t need a pay day loan or a ‘buy now, pay later scheme,” Mr Devlin said.  "What is needed is financial counselling such as that offered by Moneycare which is holistic in its approach, which focuses on working with the person as a whole and builds long-term financial capability and resilience.”

Anyone in need of assistance is encouraged to contact The Salvation Army’s free and confidential Moneycare financial counselling service. For more information, call 1800 007 007 (National Debt Hotline) or visit salvationarmy.org.au/moneycare.

ends