Skip to main content

Business News Releases

Shoppers ready to bag a post-Christmas bargain –$16.1 billion to go through retail tills from Boxing Day to mid January

SHOPPERS are expected to spend $16.1 billion during post-Christmas sales from Boxing Day through to 15 January 2015.

New research released by the Australian Retailers Association (ARA) and Roy Morgan reveals the figure of $16.1 billion represents an estimated year on year growth of 3.6 percent.

ARA Executive Director Russell Zimmerman said last year’s post-Christmas predicted sale figure ($15.1 billion) was confirmed only slightly higher at $15.5 billion.

“Previous ARA/Roy Morgan Christmas research has been almost spot-on every time, meaning retailers can be quite confident that this Christmas will be a merry one.

“Looking at the actual post-Christmas sales figures for 2013 and this year’s post Christmas predictions, the hospitality sector shows the highest level of growth at 6.7 percent.

“Household goods (4 percent) and food (3.6 percent) categories are also set to experience a small but significant jump in post-Christmas sales, indicating that gift buying will be replaced by shoppers splurging on household items for themselves as well as dining out.

“It’s fantastic to see that all states and territories are predicted to experience positive growth post-Christmas, ranging from 1.2 percent (ACT) to 4.2 percent (NSW).

“As we know, the festive sales period doesn’t just continue in the stores; there are also many shoppers who will be enjoying the sales from their living rooms. Some retailers are expected to start their Boxing Day sales as early as Christmas Eve.

“After what has been a very tough year in business, the ARA is confident that the retail industry will enjoy a well-deserved boost in sales this Christmas and we hope this positive trend will continue into 2015,” Mr Zimmerman said. 

*

Since 1903, the Australian Retailers Association (ARA) has been the peak industry body representing Australia’s $265 billion retail sector, which employs over 1.2 million people. The ARA ensures retail success by informing, protecting, advocating, educating and saving money for its 5,000 independent and national retail members throughout Australia.

Visit www.retail.org.au or call 1300 368 041.

ends

  • Created on .

Defence major projects report enquity

PARLIAMENT’s Joint Public Accounts and Audit Committee (JCPAA) will examine the joint Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) and Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO) Major Projects Report (MPR) 2013-14.

Today, the JCPAA opened an inquiry into the MPR 2013-14 following the report’s out-of-session tabling in the Australian Parliament.

Committee Chair, Dr Andrew Southcott MP, said that major Defence equipment acquisition projects remain the subject of considerable parliamentary and public interest, in view of their high cost, contribution to national security and the challenges involved in completing them within budget, on time and to the required level of capability.

“This is the seventh MPR produced by the ANAO and DMO and the Committee remains committed to seeing that, when it comes to Defence procurement, Australian tax-payers money is being spent wisely,” Dr Southcott said.

“The JCPAA’s on-going work has been very important in the MPR’s development.  Our efforts actively contribute to greater efficiencies in terms of current Defence projects as well as helping inform government on the best way to approach new Defence acquisitions, such as the Future Submarine project.”

Interested persons and organisations are invited to make submissions to the Committee’s inquiry by Friday, 13 February 2015.  Further information about the Committee’s inquiry, including details on how to lodge a submission, are available on the Committee’s website at: www.aph.gov.au/jcpaa.

A public hearing is expected be held on 27 February 2015.

ends

  • Created on .

Government to seek voluntary nominations for a National Radioactive Waste Management Facility site

THE Australian Government will begin a nationwide voluntary site nomination process for a radioactive waste management facility. A call for expressions of interest from landowners will open in March 2015.

The nationwide process will provide an opportunity for landowners in all States and Territories to nominate land for a facility under the National Radioactive Waste Management Act 2012.

The Department of Industry will establish technical and public interest stakeholder panels to assist in developing a framework to shortlist potentially suitable volunteered sites. Sites will be assessed against technical, economic, social and environmental factors.

The site, construction and operation of the facility will be subject to assessment and approval under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 and the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Act 1998.  This multi-stage process will involve extensive community consultation and ensure safety and the protection of human health and the environment.

Australia has 4,000 cubic metres of low level and 550 cubic metres of medium level waste in temporary storage. The Government is committed to taking responsibility for this waste, which is a by-product of world leading medical and industrial processes that benefit all Australians.

The site identification, assessment and selection will be transparent, rigorous and informed by thorough public consultation.

More information can be found at http://www.radioactivewaste.gov.au/

ends

 

  • Created on .

Golfing greats return to Gold Coast in 2015

THE Australian PGA Championship will remain in Queensland under a new long-term agreement that will see the tournament hosted on the Gold Coast until 2017.

Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games, Jann Stuckey, made the announcement to an enthusiastic crowd of golf fans.

“It is with great pleasure I announce the Australian PGA Championship will remain on the Gold Coast until 2017 under a new agreement between Tourism and Events Queensland and the PGA of Australia,” said Ms Stuckey.

“Australia’s oldest professional golf tournament, the Australian PGA Championship has quickly established itself as a must-see event on the Gold Coast event calendar.

Destination Success, Queensland’s 20-year plan for tourism, recognises the importance of securing major events such as this which drive repeat visitation to Queensland’s destinations.

“The Australian PGA Championship will be promoted as part of It’s Live! highlighting the perfect union of world-class events in world-class destinations."

Ms Stuckey said the agreement will see Tourism and Events Queensland work in partnership with the PGA of Australia to offer visitors an expanded program of entertainment throughout the Australian PGA Championship.

“A live music concert program, expanded fan zones and a stadium experience around the 16th hole are all options being considered to create a unique and Famous for fun Australian PGA Championship experience,” she said.

“I look forward to welcoming the world’s golfing greats, their families and friends back to the Gold Coast for the 2015 Australian PGA Championship.”

PGA of Australia Chief Executive Officer, Brian Thorburn re-affirmed the statements of Minister Stuckey for the future of the tournament on the Gold Coast.

“The Australian PGA Championship has a long and proud history in Queensland, and we are excited for what the future holds. Not only does it provide great opportunity for growth and development, it also provides certainty for our flagship event and one of Australia’s major golf tournaments.”

“The event has always been a favourite for players on the PGA Tour of Australasia, and with the Gold Coast confirmed as the home of the Australian PGA Championship for a further three years we have the opportunity to deliver an even greater spectacle for players, visitors and the local community” added Thorburn.

The Australian PGA Championship is co-sanctioned by the PGA Tour of Australasia and OneAsia, and is Australia’s oldest professional golf tournament. Past winners include Peter Thomson, Greg Norman, Ian Baker-Finch, Wayne Grady and current world number three Adam Scott.

www.teq.queensland.com

ends

  • Created on .

Christmas spending projections for week 4: ANRA

RETAILERS are predicting the next seven days to be the biggest of the year as shoppers move their Christmas preparations into top gear, according to weekly Christmas spending projections released by the Australian National Retailers’ Association (ANRA) today.

“Despite consumer confidence readings suggesting a cautious community, more people have returned to retail in the last 12 months and delivered growth to the sector and the economy more broadly. This incremental growth will assist the sector in contributing a little more than four per cent to Australia’s GDP this year,” ANRA CEO Anna McPhee said.

Ms McPhee said more than $8.3 billion is expected to be spent nationally this week with the average family anticipated to spend about $1,060 on Christmas preparations including gifts, food, liquor and dining.

“Consumer spending is important for the national economy and it is encouraging that retail sales are expected to surge by around 10 per cent compared to last week with Australian shoppers anticipated to spend about $750 million more than the previous week.

“To prepare for the Christmas rush, the retail sector has employed approximately 39,000 additional staff this December as well as providing existing staff with extra shifts to support demand throughout this busy period.  The retail sector employs over 1.2 million Australians.

"Many retailers will offer extended trading hours over the next 10 days to meet heightened customer demand across the peak period. The extension of trading hours in the lead up to Christmas has been particularly successful in previous years and highlights how consumer expectations are changing.  Consumers want to be able to shop at times that are convenient,” she said.

ANRA’s survey of Christmas shoppers looked at Christmas shopping tactics between men and women and found differences in their approaches.

“Twice as many men than women expect to do most of their Christmas shopping between now and Christmas – with just under one in four men admitting they’ll probably do most of their shopping quite close to Christmas.

“Our survey showed women take a much more structured approach to Christmas shopping with one in four shopping throughout the year – compared to just 16 per cent of men. Women are also around twice as likely to buy fun things like toys (15% vs 8%) and more-so experiences (6% vs 2%).

“Christmas shoppers told us they will be shopping primarily for immediate family (81%). While 18 per cent admitted to buying a gift for themselves and 15 per cent said a gift for the family pet was also on the Christmas to-do list,” said Ms McPhee.

This year ANRA estimates $32.6 billion will be spent on gifts, food, liquor and dining. Shopping with Australian retailers online and in store supports Australian businesses, jobs and local communities. 

The below table provides a breakdown by state for the 30 days to Christmas (24-Nov to 24-Dec) and spending in the fourth week (15-Dec to 21-Dec):

 

 

NSW

VIC

QLD

SA

WA

TAS

NT

ACT

TOTAL

Total (million)

$10,559.8

$8,146.8

$6,554.5

$2,149.5

$3,721.4

$637.9

$307.1

$571.1

$32,648.1

Week 4 (million)

$2,612.0

$2,155.0

$1,683.2

$572.0

$934.9

$155.9

$72.5

$147.5

$8,333.0

www.anra.com.au

ends

  • Created on .