THE Walkley Foundation today announced the shortlist for the Walkley Book Award, part of Australia’s most prestigious journalism accolades, the Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism.
The Walkley Book Award celebrates Australian writers who take enduring subjects from news, eyewitness accounts, investigations and history. Their books bring readers immersive detail, clear analysis and new revelations.
A total of 65 books were entered this year. Their subject matter ranged from true crime, politics and war to memoir, biography and investigative journalism.
The 2018 Walkley Book Award shortlisted finalists announced today in Sydney are (in alphabetical order):
- Peter Greste, The First Casualty, Penguin Random House
- Chris Masters, No Front Line: Australia’s Special Forces At War in Afghanistan, Allen & Unwin
- Helen Pitt, The House, Allen & Unwin
The judging panel chairs, who selected the shortlist for the 2018 book award, are:
- Colleen Ryan, journalist and author
- Paul Bailey, editor, The Australian Financial Review
- Pamela Williams, investigative journalist
The winner of the 2018 Walkley Book Award will be announced at the 63rd Walkley Awards for Excellence in Journalism on Thursday November 22, at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, thanks to the support of Tourism and Events Queensland.
The awards will be broadcast live on Sky News Extra Foxtel channel 604 and streamed live on the Walkley website (walkleys.com) from 8:30pm AEDT.
A full list of Walkley Awards finalists is available at walkleys.com.